Thursday, June 23, 2011

Up Close & Personal with Author – Liz Borino











Hi Liz, welcome to Up Close & Personal.

Liz Borino is the debut author of Expectations, released from Lazy Day Publishing 12/1. Throughout her education, including a Bachelor's Degree from Hofstra University, she's kept her stories to herself, but this only child is all grown up and wants.
Read more at Amazon's Liz Borino Page




Bestselling Books: Expectations, What Money Can't Buy.


1. Where were you born and where do you call home?

I was born in Bethlehem, Pa and I call home wherever I happen to go to sleep for more than a month at a time.


2. What is the name of your most recent book and if you had to sum it up in 30 or less words, what would you say?

What Money Can’t Buy is the sequel to Expectations. It’s a dramatic continuation of the Taylor Twins’ story, involving love, loss, and the anticipation of parenthood.


3. If you gave some of your characters an opportunity to speak for themselves, what would they say?

My characters don’t know how to shut up. No, really, they’d invite you into their homes and ask you to listen to their stories.


4. Do you have plans for a new book? Is this book part of a series?

Yes! I’m working on the third Taylor Twins book and I’m very excited about it!

Patti says: I hope you come back and share it with us when it is finished!


5. What or who inspired you to write? And how long have you been writing?

I’ve been telling stories my whole life to anyone and everyone who’d listen. And when no one did? I told them to myself. Kind of like trying to break into publishing. I started writing seriously when I was ten or eleven. What inspired me? Reading both good and bad books. I’d read a bad book and say, ‘I can do better’ or a good book would inspire ‘I want to affect people just like this’. Because a good book will touch your heart and ignite your soul.


6. Do you gift books to readers for book reviews?

Yes.


7. How did you come up with the title and cover design?

Expectations is about Matt and Chris redefining their father’s rules for them. What Money Can’t Buy came from a very emotionally driven scene when Chris is begging for something back and offering to write a check for any amount of money, but knowing that won’t help.

My cover art came from the brilliant artist at Lazy Day. All I knew going into Expectations was I didn’t want anything too sexual because that’s not what my books are about. For What Money Can’t Buy, we decided to keep continuity.


8. Have you based any of your characters on someone you know, or real events in your own life?

All of my characters are based on some facet of who I am, who I want to be, or what I’m afraid of. The events mostly come from my imagination. Scary, isn’t it?


9. What books have most influenced your writing and why?

The Outsiders by S.E. Hinton- This is the first book I read from a male POV and it made a big impression on me.

A Home at the End of the World by Michal Cunningham- introduced me to the concept of an alternative family and I really used his characterization in developing my own.


10. Is there an Author that you would really like to meet?

I’d be honored if Michal Cunningham would read my books. Someday.


11. Do you prefer ebooks, paperbacks or hardcover?

Ebooks.

Patti says: Me too!


12. Where do you prefer to buy your books?

Amazon.


13. Are you a self published (Indie) Author?

I’m with Lazy Day, a small digital first press.


14. Have you ever read a book more than once?

All the time. When I read paperbacks, you only knew I liked a book when its spine was bent in several places.


15. Is there a particular movie that you preferred over the book version?

I would say I enjoyed A Home at the End of the World’s movie equally. Probably because Cunningham wrote the screenplay.


16. What book are you currently reading and in what format (electronic/paperback/hardcover)?

Nether by Jason Beymer in Kindle format.


17. What book do you know that you will never read?

I’m not a fan of Tolkien, so anything beyond the Fellowship of the Ring. (Please don’t kill me for saying that.)

Patti says: Not to worry, I have had a few people say that.

18. Are there any new Authors that have grasped your interest and why?

I love new authors! I’m still a new author and so are a lot of my friends. We’re always cheering each other on. I really like Jason Beymer, though. His books are funny and meaningful.


19. Is there anything you would change in your last book and why?

As an author, there’re always things I could change, but overall I’m proud of my novels. Oh, on page 345 in What Money Can’t Buy, I forgot the word milk. Oops.


20. Who designed the cover of your book?

Lazy Day.


21. Do you have a book trailer?

Yes


22. What are your thoughts on book trailers?

You know, I think they’re neat if done right, but I’m not convinced they help sell books, at least they didn’t for me really.


23. Do you have any advice for other writers?

Trust yourself and your characters. You know your story best. Oh and please, please drop the word that whenever possible.


24. What is the best advice that you have ever been given when it comes to writing?

Keep going.


25. Do you write under a pen name?

No, everyone who knows me can find what I’m doing if they care to.


26. Cats or dogs?

Dogs


Where can your readers follow you?

My blog: lizborino.com

My Facebook page: http://www.facebook.com/lizborino

Twitter: http://twitter.com/#!/LizBorino

Amazon: Author Profile Expectations What Money Can’t Buy

Other: Barnes and Noble- Author Profile Expectations What Money Can’t Buy


Is your book in Print, ebook or both?

eBook


Thank you so much for taking the time to do this interview with me and allowing us a glimpse into your writing word.

I hope you share this interview with your friends so we can all get to know you a little better Liz.


Thanks for reading. If you enjoyed the blog please support the Author by tweeting, facebooking and following this blog. Many thanks, Patti.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...