Thursday, August 25, 2011

My name is Stephanie Laymon. And I am a blogger! This is my blog - Five Alarm Book Reviews


Where were you born and where do you call home?
I was born in Upstate New York and lived there up until three years ago, when I moved to Alabama.  I don't think that any two places in the United States could be so entirely different from one another, but they both have their positive attributes.

How long have you been blogging?
In 2007 I began reviewing books for local papers and magazines and guest posting and Five Alarm Book Reviews went live in 2011.

What made you want to blog about books?
I was a real pain in the neck kid who was motivated and inspired to write about things by my English teacher, Mr. Wickham.  I received the Journalism award two years in a row in high school, which pushed me even further and I became a writer of sorts.  Combine that with my intense love of books and you have a book blogger.


What is the name of
the book you most recently blogged about?
You caught me in a "fluff" moment.  A Sheetcake Named Desire by Jacklyn Brady.  It is the first in a new cozy mystery series, A Piece of Cake Mysteries.

What did you think about the cover?
It is perfect for the title and the colors are beautiful.

If you could ask the Author 3 questions what would they be?
What do you read?  If you were not writing books, what would you be doing?  Why cozies?

If this book was part of a series, would you read the next book?
It is a part of a series.  I will most definitely read the next.

Was this a book you were asked to review or did you buy it?
A Sheetcake Named Desire was sent to me by publishers, Berkley, which is an imprint of Penguin.

Have you written a book yourself or are you planning to in the future?
I did write a book, although I am not sure how I feel about publishing it.  Is that ridiculous or what?

What genre is your favorite and why?
I don't really have a favorite.  I tend to read one genre for awhile and then move on to another.  I will read something that is extremely dramatic and then pick up what I call "fluff".  A cozy mystery or chic-lit.
If you were shipwrecked on a desert island what 3 books would you want with you?
Cane River by Lalita Tademy, Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen and one of the Joanne Fluke cozies, probably Strawberry Shortcake Murder.  That would give me an all time favorite, something to lose myself in and my fluff.

Is there an Author that you would really like to meet?
Jackson Pearse would probably be my first choice.  Her latest book, Sweetly, was just released a couple of days ago.  I like Jackson because she loves her fans so much and she uses video frequently on her blog and you can just see this great personality shine through.

Do you prefer ebooks, paperbacks or hardcover?
I love my e-reader, but I have to say, nothing will ever replace the feel and the smell of fresh print of a paperback.  One of the things on my "Top Ten Things I Love" list is the smell of coffee and books together.  Walking into a Barnes and Noble is one of my small joys in life.

Where do you prefer to buy your books?
I love indie stores, although they are scarce where I live.  I often order from the internet for indie books and shop at Barnes and Noble for the rest.

Have you ever read a book more than once?
You bet!  I have read Cane River by Lalita Tademy at least four times and have done a double take on several classical and poetry books.

Is there a particular movie or TV series that you preferred over the book version?
I have never had that happen.  I have consistently liked the book better.

What book are you currently reading and in what format (ebook/paperback/hardcover)?
I am reading the ARC for The Leftovers by Tom Perrotta.  It has a publication date of August 30, 2011 and I would like to post my review on the same day.

What book do you know that you will never read?
Sorry, good question, but no can do.  There are a ton of books that I would never read again and some that I wish I had not wasted my time on even once, but all of the books that I post reviews for are books that I enjoyed and can recommend.  If I can't give it a positive review, I keep it to myself.  Someone else might enjoy it even if I didn't. 

Are there any new Authors that have grasped your interest recently and why?
Bert Murray, author of Colin Preston Rocked and Rolled.  His writing style is great for twenty somethings, which I think is an age group that is not targeted often enough.


What are your thoughts on book trailers?
I like book trailers a lot.  In this age of multimedia, I think that they are just the thing to grab the attention of a potential reader, especially for young adult titles.

Do you have a favorite book cover - chose up to 3 if you like.
I love book covers.  Five Alarm Book Reviews are the host for the weekly meme, Shelf Candy, where a book cover is featured and credit is given to the designer, photographer and/or illustrator.  Some favorites are Spin the Plate by Donna Anastasi, Blood and Flowers by Penny Blubaugh and this coming Saturday's feature cover, Shattered Souls by Mary Lindsey.

Do you ever blog in your PJ’s?
You betcha'.

Sleep in or get up early?
I love getting up early.  I am always anxious to read my email from my readers.

Favorite color?
Pink.  I am still a girly girl at heart.

What are 3 items you never leave home without.
My I phone, my current read and my wallet.

What is your most favorite electronic gadget?
Every bloggers favorite, my laptop.  I can blog on the go, which is great for book signings and release parties.
A character you love to hate.
Scarlett from Gone With the Wind.  She was really something.  Hey, did you know this is the 75th anniversary for the book?
 
Patti says:  I do now!  :)

Cats or dogs?
I love my little chihuahua, Charo Lucille, but other than that I don't really like dogs.  I have to say cats, or dogs that are like cats.

White wine or red?
Red all the way.

Coffee or tea?
Coffee.

Favorite food?
I love and miss pizza.  I have not had a real pizza since I left New York.

Vanilla or chocolate ice cream?
Vanilla

What is a movie or TV show that you watched recently and really enjoyed?
I missed nearly all of the Glee episodes because I didn't think that it would be for me, but I loved it when I finally did watch.

Where can we STALK you?


Thank you again for this splendid opportunity.
 
Stephanie
Five Alarm Book Reviews

Follow us on Twitter

Like us on Facebook


Thanks Stephanie, it has been fun :) Patti

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...