Thursday, October 6, 2011

Up Close & Personal Interview with - Collette Scott. Author of - If We Dare to Dream

Interview with the lovely Collette Scott:  Where were you born and where do you call home?

I was born in a small town in Indiana, USA, grew up in Massachusetts, and now I currently live in the desert of Phoenix, Arizona.


Win a copy of this ebook on the Christmas Bloggerthon - HERE


What is the name of your most recent book and if you had to sum it up in 30 or less words, what would you say?

If We Dare to Dream is a story of betrayal, family, and the ability to forgive and love again. This story introduces the Evans’ family, cousins of Chuck Evans from Forever Sunshine.


If you gave some of your characters an opportunity to speak for themselves, what would they say?

Andrew has been dealt a serious blow. After serving his country in the military and returning home to be charged with a crime that he did not commit, he is scarred, bitter and wary. He doesn’t speak much but rather listens and watches others.

Jamie is a nurturer. She would run around and make sure everyone had what they needed before she would take her own seat. She would speak out clearly that people need to do the right thing at all times even if it’s an unpopular decision.

Do you have plans for a new book? Is this book part of a series?

Yes, this book is one of three I’ve already completed, and I’ve just started the fourth. I plan to release them several months apart next year. Book two will come out Valentine’s Day, etc. The characters will tie into Forever Sunshine. In my newest book (book 4), we will see closure of Cher’s story, and she is making an appearance. YAY!


What or who inspired you to write? And how long have you been writing?

I have been writing since I was a child, and I completed my first book at the age of eight. As long as I can remember I have had voices in my head, telling me stories that I needed to write down. I believe I inherited the storytelling gene from my maternal grandfather. He was a poet.

Would you like to giveaway a copy of your book on this blog?

Absolutely!

How did you come up with the title and cover design?

I love photography and work very hard on my covers. If We Dare to Dream is a photo of both Superstition Mountain in Arizona, which plays a large role in the story, and a photo of ‘Jamie’ with Andrew’s horse. Jamie and Andrew grow closer through riding.

Have you based any of your characters on someone you know, or real events in your own life?

Normally I do not. I have a hard time integrating people I know because my characters speak to me directly. However, I have tried out a new thing for my new series, where I take aspects of people I know and turn them into supporting characters.

What books have most influenced your writing most and why?

I was a literature major in college, and I loved the classics. I find them so inspiring.

Is there an Author that you would really like to meet?

I can think of a few!

Do you prefer ebooks, paperbacks or hardcover?

I read primarily ebooks now, but I still prefer a good hardcover.

Where do you prefer to buy your books?

Amazon or Smashwords. I’ve found some great new authors on Smashwords.

Are you a self published (Indie) Author?

Absolutely! With all the changes in the publishing field and the unsteadiness of booksellers, I believe it’s the safest route to take nowadays.

Have you ever read a book more than once?

Again, absolutely! Lately I don’t have much time, but if a book truly moves me I will re-read it.

Is there a particular movie that you preferred over the book version?

No, not really. However, The Lord of the Rings trilogy was done brilliantly by Peter Jackson.


What book are you currently reading and in what format (ebook/paperback/hardcover)?

I am re-reading and editing my newest so I can get advanced copies off to the bloggers. Once that is done, I plan to sit down and complete Niamh Clune’s Orange Petals in a Storm.

What book do you know that you will never read?

Nothing really comes to mind. I haven’t found a book yet that has been so offensive that I couldn’t read it. But then again, I don’t read every single genre either.

Are there any new Authors that have grasped your interest and why?

Oh, there are several, and I’ve mentioned quite a few on my blog. Some of them are taking part in this giveaway too.


Is there anything you would change in your last book and why?

Although Forever Sunshine was sad, the message of hope and healing made the tears well worth it. And, of course, I have written and plan to release four new books to give my readers some more information and extend Cher’s story. With that being said, I would have to say ‘no’. It ended as it needed to.

Who designed the cover of your book?

I’ve designed all of my covers. My second book in the series (due in February 2012) will be based on a painting done by a friend of mine if all works out well!


Do you have a book trailer?

Not yet! LOL

What are your thoughts on book trailers?

If people watch them, it’s a useful learning tool. The music, photos and words can portray a book’s tone effectively.

Do you have any advice for other writers?

Write, edit and work very hard. It’s not easy to reach the masses. It takes long hours and hopefully a lucky break!

What is the best advice that you have ever been given when it comes to writing?

Edit! Don’t be afraid to cut words. As painful as it may be, creating a tight story is the best option.

Do you write under a pen name?

I do, yes. It’s easier for me to keep my writing life and personal life separate.

Do you ever write in your PJ’s?

For sure! I am at my computer on average 14 hours a day, so oftentimes I am working away before I climb out of bed.

What are your pet peeves?

Wow, loaded question! My biggest pet peeve is when people take others for granted. A simple thank you speaks wonders.

Cats or dogs?

Both. I have both and am a total animal lover.

White wine or red?

Red

Coffee or tea?

I drink both, but I love a good cup of green tea.

Favorite food?

How about foods? I love Italian food and cannot live without chocolate. I’m a total addict and literally panic if I don’t have chocolate in my house. I require a daily fix.

Vanilla or chocolate ice cream?

After reading my previous answer, you should already know! Haha. Chocolate for sure.

What do you normally eat for breakfast?

If I remember to eat breakfast, it’s usually something light, like a piece of fruit.

What are 4 things you never leave home without?

My mobile phone, my purse, my shoes, and my kids… oh, wait, sometimes I’ve been busy and left them - no, really, I’m just kidding. If they read this, they’re going to yell at me.

Laptop or desktop for writing?

Laptop. The poor, trusty Toshiba has been through thick and thin with me.


Where and when do you prefer to do your writing?

I’ll write anywhere I can as long as it’s quiet. With three kids, finding a quiet spot is sometimes challenging, and I’ve been tempted to hide in my closet at times.

If you were deserted on an island, who are 3 famous people you would want with you?

Aside from my kids? I guess I would probably prefer to be alone - serenity! But could I settle for a couple of deceased people? I guess if I had to choose it would be Mother Teresa, Thomas Jefferson, and Nelson Mandela. These amazing people stood up for what they believed in, and I am in awe of their inner strength.

One of your favorite quotes -

“Freedom!” from Braveheart. Every time I watch that movie I mimic Mel Gibson. My kids roll their eyes at me and call me a dork. I could list a few more, but I don’t want to take up too much space.

List 3 of your all time favorite books?

Wuthering Heights, Jane Eyre, and Return of the Native. Can you tell I love a good tear-jerker?

List 3 of your all time favorite movies?

Steel Magnolias, Lord of the Rings trilogy, and Glory. Once again, I go for the tear jerkers.

An actor you have a crush on -

I have a couple, starting with Clint Eastwood when I was young. I guess my biggest one right now would be Clive Owen. He’s pretty intense.

What is a movie or TV show that you watched recently and really enjoyed?

I rarely watch TV, but I do try to do a movie night here and there. We recently watched Despicable Me, and that was adorable. Transformers 3 just came out, and since my kids are on fall break my youngest has been replaying it over and over again.


Where can your readers stalk you?

My facebook page: www.facebook.com/pages/Collette-Scott/214595141885266
Twitter: @collettescott
Smashwords:  www.smashwords.com/profile/view/ColletteScott

Is your book in Print, ebook or both?

It will be in both formats for sure!

About the book:  
In Book I of the Evans' saga, If We Dare to Dream, meet Jamie Evans:

A family torn apart by war and misfortune. A family held together by the bonds of love. Two families meet after one fateful night changes their lives forever. Andrew Sheehan, a former Special Forces soldier, returns home from Afghanistan on a medical discharge and is accused of murder. Only Jamie Evans can save him and prove his innocence. Determined to do what’s right, Jamie strives to free him and in the process help him to regain his life and start over. Andrew, feeling betrayed by the country he almost died protecting, fights the demons he carries to make things work with Jamie and repair his shattered relationship with his younger brother, Adam. However, Adam bears his own scars from fighting in Iraq, and his anger seems almost insurmountable. With Jamie's help, Andrew begins to pick up the pieces of his shattered life, but the killer is still out there, and Andrew finds out that he is haunting him still.


Thank you so much for taking the time to do this interview with me, it has been fun, and allowing us a glimpse into your writing word. I hope you share this interview with your friends so we can all get to know you a little better. Patti
Patti, thank you for featuring me again. I always have so much fun working with you! 
Patti Says:  Like wise :) x

2 comments:

  1. Great Bog Patti of such an interesting and lovely person.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Best of luck with this book and others to come, Collette! LOL on the chocolate :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...