Wednesday, August 12, 2015

Angela Lockwood, author of the Language in the blood series and, Something Short


Book Description from Amazon:
Language in the blood book1
Until the outbreak of the First World War, young Cameron Blair would have liked nothing better than to stay in Edinburgh and marry his childhood sweetheart. As the call to arms goes out, Cameron and his pals sign up to fight for their country. They are soon delivered into the nightmare of war, and there Cameron more than meets his maker. 

The story follows Cameron as he comes to terms with his new ‘life’, from his first days as a hapless vampire in war-torn France to the glamorous modern day setting of the Côte d’Azur. Along the way, he develops a distinctive taste for the finer things in life: jewels, yachts, small dogs and champagne-infused human...

What inspired you to start writing, and when?
I started writing when I was unemployed. Unusually the weather was bad here, in the south of France, and I was climbing the walls. My husband suggested that like the Shelly’s and Byron we should write a ghost story. Mary Shelly produced Frankenstein and while not on a par with that, I think I’ve created a vampire that will amuse a number of you.

What is your preferred genre?
I don’t have a preferred genre. I do a lot of Indie book reviews and there is mostly something good or bad in any genre. I love original thought, but hate formulaic romance.

How many books have you written?  If more than one, are any a series…or trilogy?
Next to the 2 language in the Blood books, for which Paradox book covers has done the covers, I’ve also cooperated with my friend Elspeth Morrison on the short story bundle; Something Short which is helping raise money for support in mind Scotland. Also recently I was involved with a bundle that is raising money for the charity Macmillans nurses called; You’re not alone. 

Tell us a little about your book.
The language in the Blood series is comedy about a Scottish vampire that ends up living the high life in the south of France. What inspired me was my current life in France, but also the life I left behind in Scotland. I’ve managed to weave in many things that I experienced there and here. I do miss my Scottish friends and this allowed me to write down some fond memories. (be it in a rather twisted way)

Do you have plans for a new book?
I’m currently working on a romantic novel: Conversations with Tom. It is inspired by my cat. It is about a man that has been left by his wife, shortly after they adopt a ginger haired kitten. It weaves in lots of humourous cat anecdotes as the man finds new love.

Is there an Author that you would really like to meet?
If he was still alive, I’d love to meet Graham Greene. It is a rare talent that can write comedy and drama equally well.

Do you plot or write by the seat of your pants?
Seat of my pants, nothing is planned.

Did you have an editor edit your books?
My good friend Penny Hunter has been such a help in editing my Language in the Blood books. I was a total novice when I started out, so her guidance has been invaluable.

Do you prefer ebooks, paperbacks or hardcover?
Couldn’t live without my Kindle!

Are you a self- published (Indie) Author?
Proud to be an Indie.

What book are you currently reading and in what format (ebook/paperback/hardcover)? 
E-book of Resistance by promising YA Indie writer Kayla Howarth. Enjoyed the first in the series and the second is pretty good too.

Who designed the cover of your book?
I did a rather poor job myself with a photo of a toy dog and some ketchup. Then I had it redesigned by Paradox book covers who did an infinitely better job! 

Do you have any advice for other writers starting out? 
Start on your next book and prepare to work every waking hour. Make the book the best it can be. So many Indies do not use editors and it’s embarrassing to have a reviewer point out any mistakes. I was also pleasantly surprised that it’s not that expensive to have a professional book cover made for me. 

Do you ever write in your PJ’s?
Probably, I live in the south of France, so it’s not unusual for me to wander about in a nighty.

What are your pet peeves?
Ignorant racist people, the ones that start a sentence with, “I’m not a racist but……” 

Pick one - Wine, Chocolate or shoes?
Just one? No! Probably Wine, who says you can’t find inspiration at the bottom of a glass?

Cats or dogs?
Cats

What is your favorite food and beverage?
Like Cameron who likes his prey flavoured by champagne, I’m rather partial too to the bubbly beverage.

How many hours per day do you try to devote to research and writing?
Not enough. I spend most of my time now on promoting my books and holding down a full time job. I’m a very lazy researcher that gets most her information of Wikipedia.

Sleep in or get up early?
Early riser. 

Laptop or desktop for writing?
Laptop.

Where and when do you prefer to do your writing?
I love writing on my balcony, can’t beat writing in some fresh salty air.

Your thoughts on receiving book reviews - the good and the bad 
It’s the thing that keeps me writing. I get such a buzz from getting a 5 star review. Bracing myself for a one star, there are a lot of trolls out there who revel in giving hard working writers a single star random review. 

What is a movie or TV show that you watched just recently and really enjoyed?
Enjoying Orphan Black, not normally a sci-fi fan, but this is just good fun with an amazing actress, who plays several characters, but you wouldn’t know it as they seem just so different in character and speech.

Where can your readers stalk you? 
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/CruftsloverAkaCameronBlair?ref=hl
And blog: http://languageintheblood.blogspot.fr/

Is your book in Print, ebook or both?
E-book, but thinking of printing.

Do you give free ebooks away in exchange for honest reviews?
I’ve provided some books to book bloggers for reviews.

Book links:
All my books can be found on my author page:
http://www.amazon.com/Angela-Lockwood/e/B00MD5IN4A/ref=ntt_dp_epwbk_0





No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...